Friday, July 2, 2010

"You want us to stop marching, make justice a reality,"

King retorted in a Negro mass meeting. "I don't mind saying to Chicago - or to anybody - I'm tired of marching. I'm tired of marching for something that should've been mine at birth. If you want a moratorium on demonstrations, put a moratorium on injustice. If you want us to end our moves into communities, open these communities...I don't mind saying to you, I'm tired of living every day under the threat of death. I have no martyr complex. I want to live as long as anybody in this building. And sometimes I begin to doubt whether I;m going to make it through...So I'll tell anybody, I'm wiling to stop marching. I don't march because I like it. I march because I must, and because I'm a man, and because I'm a child of God."
-Let the Trumpet Sound: A Life of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Stephen B. Oates, pg. 399

No comments:

Post a Comment