Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Epigraph to The Radical King

As I have moved to break the betrayal of my own silences and to speak from the burnings of my own heart....many persons have questioned me about the wisdom of my path. At the heart of their concerns this query has often loomed large and loud: Why are you speaking about the war, Dr. King? Why are you joining the voices of dissent? Peace and civil rights don't mix, they say. Aren't you hurting the cause of your people, they ask? And when I hear them, though I often understand the sources of their concern, I am nevertheless greatly saddened, for such questions mean that the inquirers have not really known me, my commitment or my calling."
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., remarks delivered at Riverside Church, New York, April 4, 1967

epigraph to The Radical King: Martin Luther King, Jr. Edited and introduced by Dr. Cornel West. 

No comments:

Post a Comment