Thursday, May 27, 2010

bookstore tour

I did a quick tour of the Barnes and Noble at Union Square this afternoon.

Highlight in books relating to Islam:

-I got to see Jonathan Brown's Hadith: An Introduction. It looked good. I hope to buy and read through one day iA.

-I was really excited to see this new book in what's really becoming my area of interest: A History of Islam in America: From the New World to the New World Order. Just published by Oxford University Press ma sha Allah.

Reza Aslan's How to Win a Cosmic War is now in paperback under the title Beyond Fundamentalism: Confronting Religious Extremism in the Age of Globalization

In other news...:

Ayan Hirsi Ali has a new book Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations [featuring blurbs from Hitchens, Harris (and Bruce Brawer) and starts with a quote of praise from Richard Dawkins...]

as does Bernard Lewis Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East

I  also got to see Paul Berman's The Flight of the Intellectuals book (basically against Tariq Ramadan - see previous post) and this article in the American Prospect by Andrew March)

3 comments:

  1. Salam Ebad

    The Hadith book looks interesting. The only book on hadith originally written in English is the Usool al Hadith book by Sheikh Bilal Phillips. I am looking forward to reading this. Thanks for this post.

    How do you like Reza Aslan's books? The only one I read was "No God, but God". I wasn't really a big fan for a few reasons. There was an interesting portion though in the book about Rasulillah's (s) life. Mr. Aslan recounted this story of Rasulillah (s)meeting a hanif. The interesting aspect of the story however was the part about Rasulillah (s) coming back from worshiping idols. Have you heard any hadith or narrations about this incident? I couldn't find the reference in the book.

    - Sajed

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa alaykum salaam Sajed,

    There's also another book by Zubayr Siddiqui that Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad edited that I have and seems pretty good - I did a quick search and found a link here: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hadith-Literature/Muhammad-Zubayr-Siddiqi/e/9780946621385

    I still haven't gotten thru "No God but god." Give me a 'minute' to see what he writes there

    Thanks
    Ebad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thanks for the recom. I'll look into it iA.

    Don't worry too much about reading the Aslan book. I dont really recommend it.

    Sajed

    ReplyDelete