Saturday, May 30, 2009

Imam al-Ghazali in his autobiography on sincerity and intention

"Then I reflected on my intention in my public teaching, and I saw that it was not directed purely to God, but rather was instigated and motivated by the quest for fame and widespread prestige. So I became certain that I was on the brink of a crumbling bank and already on the verge of falling into the Fire, unless I set about mending my ways.

I therefore reflected unceasingly on this for some time, while I still had freedom of choice. One day I would firmly resolve to leave Baghdad and disengage myself from those circumstances, and another day I would revoke my resolution. I would put one foot forward, and the other backward. In the morning I would have a sincere desire to seek the things of the afterlife; but by evening the hosts of passion would assail it and render it lukewarm. Mundane desires began tugging me with their chains to remain as I was, while the herald of faith was crying out: "Away! Up and away! Only a little is left of your life, and a long journey lies before you! All the theory an practice in which you are engrossed is eyeservice and fakery! If you do not prepare now for the afterlife, when will you do so? And if you do not sever these attachments now, then when will you sever them?"-pg. 78-79 of Deliverance from Error (al-Munqidh min al-Dalal) from the translation by R.J. McCarthy 

2 comments:

  1. As-salamu `alaykum,

    Ma sha'Allah. This section of the Munqidh shocked me when I first read it 15 years agao and still shakes me. McCarthy's translation is well-done.

    May Allah accept our deeds as those done for His Sake alone and purify our intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wa 'alaykum salaam,

    Ameen, Ameen!

    It's scary and serves as an important reminder to always check ourselves!

    Shaykh Abdal-Hakim Murad also has a khutba on this topic from two Fridays ago at http://cambridgekhutbasetc.blogspot.com/2009/05/hypocrisy-sincerity.html

    ReplyDelete