Saturday, October 22, 2011

Diary of a Stuyvesant Teacher: A Muslim Point of View by Anthony Valentin

http://www.educationupdate.com/archives/2001/oct01/oct01_articles/cover_diary.html

A student from my third period class asked me if he could go back to the classroom to retrieve a textbook he had left there. I told him that I would go with him. As I walked up the stairs, I came across two female students who were crying. One of these students was wearing traditional Muslim attire. I asked if they were okay and the most-composed student said “yes’, but told me that students were making accusatory comments insinuating that the WTC disaster was a terrorist attack by Muslims. I told the student that was crying that I too was a Muslim and that Allah will be with us all. I attempted to remind her that the Lord would not abandon her or any one of us. He knows all and knows best. I told her to seek me out should she be fearful again. She said she would and we parted.

Also see: "Diverse Friends Unite Against Racist Backlash"

No comments:

Post a Comment