Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Guantánamo Nightmare by Lakhdar Boumediene

In 2008, my demand for a fair legal process went all the way to America’s highest court. In a decision that bears my name, the Supreme Court declared that “the laws and Constitution are designed to survive, and remain in force, in extraordinary times.” It ruled that prisoners like me, no matter how serious the accusations, have a right to a day in court. The Supreme Court recognized a basic truth: the government makes mistakes. And the court said that because “the consequence of error may be detention of persons for the duration of hostilities that may last a generation or more, this is a risk too significant to ignore.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/opinion/sunday/my-guantanamo-nightmare.html

via Imam D

No comments:

Post a Comment