Monday, July 23, 2018

"A few minutes later, Dr. Lings,

well over ninety years of age, entered the room slowly yet gracefully, greeted us, and asked us to sit down. He sat on a small alcove that looked out upon a stunning English garden that I later learned was of his own tending and in which he is now buried. I spoke of how much his book had influenced me and told him that I had used it as a basis for my class. He thanked me and yet humbly protested that he had never intended to do something as presumptuous as write the Prophet’s biography - peace be upon him, but having been prevailed upon by others finally relented. When I told him of my father’s remark, he replied that of the four levels of English, he had written the work at the highest one - far from a boast it was uttered as simple statement of fact from a man who had a degree in medieval English from Oxford, taught Shakespeare at university for twenty years, and wrote poetry like John Donne!
-Shaykh Hamza Yusuf Hanson, "A Spiritual Giant in an Age of Dwarfed Terrestial Aspirations," (thanks to Wasim for this link!), Q-News, p. 54.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment