Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud

Just came back from the first stop of the book tour for Dr. Cornel West's latest Brother West: Living and Loving Out Loud, A Memoir.

At the bookstore (said to be the largest one (by floor space) in the country - the Barnes and Nobles on 17th street in Union Square in Manhattan), he shared reflections on his life and answered questions and was, as usual, inspiring and passionate.

I, of course, had to get the book (autographed copy :)) Here's a passage from pg. 5:

But what does it mean to be a bluesman in the life of the mind? Like my fellow musicians, I've got to forge a unique style and voice that expresses my own quest for truth and love. That means following the quest wherever it leads and bearing whatever cost is required. I must break through isolated academic frameworks while, at the same time, I must build on the best of academic knowledge. I must fuel the fire of my soul so my intellectual blues can set others on fire. And most importantly. I must be a free spirit. I must unapologetically reveal my broken life as a thing of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment